Wednesday, September 3, 2008

! Viva La Revolution !

I got an opportunity to go see Ron Paul last night at the Target Center in Minneapolis, so I went. Since im not really into politics and have heard about this Ron Paul, I though it would be good to go and see what it's all about. Im hesitant about writing too much about all of this because Im a "newbie" at this. Although Ron Paul will not be on the official ballot come November, it's apparent that most people who attended last nights rally will be writing his name in when casting their vote. There were people from all over the country in attendance at this rally. It was quite interesting and held my attention for the short time Dr. Paul spoke.. I think an hour or so. I cant go into all the details of the speech/rally because it's still absorbing into my thick skull!

I, unlike my friends that attended, am not sold on anything as of yet. To be fair to the people I was with, they have been "studying" this whole idea of taking back the Republic for a while now.. 9-10 months. I think for me, it's important that I look into this and form my own opinions about what I read/hear/see. I dont want to agree with anyone until I am able to make informed/educated decisions on topics that involve the words "Politics", "Government", "Facisim"... etc... Too many people nod their head in agreement with these topics just to avoid any sort of arguement or disagreements. For all I know, people who present their information could just be feeding me a large amount of bullshit or their opinion. I am interested enough in this that I would like to get more information about the Ron Paul Revolution and see what it has to offer me.

So, with that being said, I was asked by one of the people with whom I attended the rally, what I took away from my experience. To which I replied : Im still processing. Yes, I believe Dr. Paul has some very valid points about the government. He has valid points about Foriegn Policy, military and some others that are floating away from me right now. One of his big issues is the Federal Reserve, which not an entity run by the Federal Government.. Right? See, Im confused. I believe that because it has the word "Federal" in front of it, it belongs to the government.. but it doesnt. This one of the things I will research because I cant talk about someting I dont know anything about. Maybe people out there can help me.? I know Laury can.. and she's extremely passionate about this topic. So, Laury... after youre done reading this, leave a comment so others can read and learn.


One thing Laury and I spoke about on our ride home was Income Tax.. and this all made complete sense to me.. so I can talk about it..lol... Take Jack (fictious person) for example. Jack works for AB company 40 hours a week.. and they pay him $100/hour for his labor/skill..etc. When Jack receives his paycheck every 2 weeks, they take out Income Tax.. federal AND state.. plus whatever else they take out. By the time Jack get his paycheck, he has lost approx 25% of his check just to taxes to the govt. Then Jack goes out to purchase a mug at the store and is charged sales tax (that's your pay being taxed TWO times now). Now April 15 rolls around and Jack & Jill need to file their taxes. But guess what? Jack & Jill made too much money (god forbid) last year and now have to pay in an additional $20,000.00 in taxes!!! WHAT??? Are you freaking kidding me? How many times does your income (the money you are paid for your services to a company) need to be taxed? And why do you need to be penalized for making too much money? Ahhhhhh.... im starting to get it.


Heres something that really pisses me off... Come Feb 17, 09 I will need to purchase a "converter" box for my television because everything is going digital (unless you have cable). WTF? I can no longer own a tv and throw some rabbit ears on top of it and watch tv. Now I need this fuckin converter box? WHY? I dont get it! Because we just cant live with out a better picture on our tv's? The house where I rent.. they have cable.. but I dont have cable hooked up to my tv in my room... and I dont care about it frankly. I havent had cable in almost 10 years. Im not paying for something I dont watch.. and Im a cheap ass anyway so Im not forking out $90 a month for some extra channels on tv. Can anyone tell me why this is happening? Who's making these decisions and why is it ok? Cant we just live simple lives? Who are we trying to impress and keep up with? Im a simple person.. trying to live a fairly simple life.. and THIS pisses me off.
I guess the point of this "Rally for the Republic" is because our founding fathers wrote a constitution as the Law of the Land back in 1700's. We were to live as a Republic.. not a Democracy. Do you know the difference?
I challenge you to just take a peek at what Ron Paul has to offer us, the American citizens.
Take care,
~Peace

8 comments:

JDK said...

Your fictitious Jack person is not being penalized for making too much money, he's being penalized for not having enough taxes taken out to begin with. In the US, people are taxed based on their income bracket, which is 25% for people making between $30,000 - $80,000. However, the government doesn't automatically take 25% of your pay check - YOU get to determine how much is taken out when you fill out your W4. If at the end of the year the amount you had taken from your paychecks equals 25% of your total income after deductions, then your good. If its less then you have to pay the difference, and if its more, the government owes you money. In the end, 25% of your income is 25%, its up to you if you have to owe a large sum at the end of the year or pay it per paycheck throughout the year.

Yes, 25% seems high, but there are those little things called social security, military, and government. In some countries (like Canada and France), the tax rate can be as high as 50%, but in exchange you get things like universal health care and affordable college tuition.

It does suck to also get taxed at the State level, but it can be nice to have things like Police Officers and roads, especially after a bridge collapses. But if you want to not get charged state tax you can move to Florida, Texas, Alaska, Nevada, Colorado, South Dakota, or Washington.

For me, I don't mind paying taxes - I think they are a necessary evil, but I do not agree with everything my taxes get used for. The only way to try to get control over what they are used for is through who I vote for.

Anonymous said...

ok on the converter box thing, the Government is taking back ferquencies that tv as we know it broadcast on and they are turning them over to the military. This has been in the works since the 60's so it isn't anything new. You can buy the converter box at any old retailer for about $60, but if you apply soon (as the money will run out) there is a $40 rebate availible so for $20 you get a clear picture if you live close enough to the transmitters (and yes Paula you'll be in range)

When are we going for a beer?

Rob

PAULA LARSON said...

Delia:
So, the best option for me if I dont want to be charged state taxes is to move to a state that doesnt have state tax? I like to have police officers around in case I need them... so if Florida doesnt have state tax.. who pays for the cops? They are getting their money from somewhere. I know.. they are taxed on EVERYTHING else.. like clothing(for example). In MN you dont pay tax on clothing.. in FL you pay tax on clothing. It's all the same. However, maybe they are only being charged 6% tax on clothing instead of the 25% thats coming out of your paycheck.

So in the end, it doesnt matter, the Government will get their money from you somehow no matter where you live in the country.

PAULA LARSON said...

ROB:
Did you say Beer?? How about NOW?

Yup, still not liking the whole idea of this converter box thing. It's totally bogus. What happens when the "box" malfunctions? Then I have NO tv to watch. At least when my cable goes out, I can still watch regular tv. Will they have special places to repair these boxes or exchange them?

Sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen to me!

JROD said...

Paula,

I'm actually part of the Machine, as I just purchased digital cable, a new HD television, and an HD DVR... but you have my support on your cable/tv woes... screw them...

JROD

The Juggling Mama said...

Well I'm pretty much going to stay out of this one...I like to be informed also, but where I work (as you know Paula) people talk politics ALL THE TIME...and most of the time I do not agree with them and I am about jump out the window if it doesn't stop soon, which it won't even slow down until after November of course. Anyways, I see the taxes thing as a necessary evil so I agree with Delia in that sense...but I do think it's good that you're trying to get involved and question the system. There's my non-confrontational thought for the day...

PAULA LARSON said...

Thank you JROD for your support! I wouldnt be complaining (well, maybe I would be) if I had everything to accomodate this "change-over". However, it's not fair to ppl who really cant afford this box or digital cable for that matter. IT'S BS!
Im coming to your house on Sundays to watch football on your new TV and all... lucky you!

The CDM said...

I thought it was cool for Ron Paul to give Mmad Jack a pass on endorsing him. Way to go Ron Paul!!!